Last updated on August 29th, 2020 at 09:32 am
A type of computer processors that incorporates the functions of a computer’s center processing unit (CPU) onto a single integrated circuit is called a microprocessor. A microprocessor is a VLSI (Very Large Scale Integration) Silicon Chip. Microprocessor accepts digital or binary data, processes it according to instructions stored in it’s memory and provides results as output.
Microprocessors are considered to be the brain of Microcomputers or Microprocessor based computer. Microprocessor contains both combinational logic and sequential digital logic.
Functions of Microprocessor
Among various functions of microprocessor some are as follows
- Controlling all other parts of the machine and sending timing signals.
- Transferring data between memory and I/O devices
- Fetching data and instructions from memory
- Decoding instruction
- Performing arithmetical and logical operations
- Executing programs stored in memory
- Performing communication among the I/O devices etc.