CPU (Central Processing Unit) in computer:
CPU or central processing unit in computer is an electronic circuitry that carries out the instruction given by a computer program. CPU in computer execute instruction by performing basic arithmetic, logical, control and I/O operations as required per instruction. CPU in computer is considered to be the brain of the computer. The speed and efficiency of a computer mostly depends on it’s CPU.
Functions of CPU in computer:
- Controlling all other parts of the machine and sending timing signals.
- Transferring data between memory and I/O devices
- Fetching data and instructions from memory
- Decoding instruction
- Performing arithmetical and logical operations
- Executing programs stored in memory
- Performing communication among the I/O devices etc.