Last updated on July 14th, 2020 at 02:03 am
Second Generation of Computers(1959 – 1971)
In 1947 transistors were invented, which was used in second generation computers to reduce the heat and size problem of the computers from first generation along with following characteristics
Characteristics of Second Generation of Computers
- Use of transistors
- Magnetic memory and magnetic storage disks
- High speed I/O devices
- Invention and use of high level languages such as Fortran and Cobol.
- Reduced size
- Solution to heat generation
- Communication by using telephone line
- Improvement of speed and reliability
Example: Honeywell 200, IBM 1620, IBM 1400 etc.