Optical fiber is a type of dielectric (insulating) material, such as glass or plastic, capable of transporting light. High-speed data can be transmitted through optical fibers by total internal reflection of light. The biggest feature of optical fiber is that it transmits light signals instead of electrical signals. Currently available optical fibers have a data transmission rate of 100 Mbps to 2 Mbps.
Advantages of Optical Fiber
Optical fiber has become increasingly popular in information communication systems today due to its various advantages. Among them the significant benefits are-
- Small in size, light in weight and easily transportable.
- Can be easily processed.
- Less energy consumption.
- Free from electromagnetic influence.
- Data transfer is accurate.
- Not affected by environmental heat-stress etc.
- Data storage security and privacy is paramount.
- Currently lighting, sensors and image processing are done through optical fiber.
Disadvantages of Optical Fiber
- Fiber optic cable cannot be bent into a T shape.
- Optical fiber is very expensive.
- Installing optical fiber cable is comparatively more difficult than other cables.