Last updated on June 13th, 2020 at 08:30 pm
- First of all, a mask has to be taken of odd number such as 3×3, 5×5 etc. Here taking 3×3.
- Now we will arrange the values of the mask in ascending or descending order to find the median.
- Then the median will be used to replace the center value of the mask.
- This filter provides excellent noise reduction with considerably less blurring effect than low pass filter.
- Median filters are particularly effective in the presence of impulse noise, also called salt-and-peeper noise.
- Less but it also causes blur effect.
- Loss of sharpness.
- It also tends to turn an image to an image consisting almost similar grey-scale levels everywhere.