Last updated on August 29th, 2020 at 09:58 am
Database Language: As whatever we want to be manipulated by computer has to be written using specific language, database is not beyond them. To write or create database management system we use database languages. They are of two types; Data Definition Language (DDL) and Data Manipulation Language (DML). DDL is used to design a database and DML is used express database’s queries and updates.
DML (Data Manipulation Language): A Data Manipulation Language is a database language which enables users to access and modify stored data in a database. The types of access are as follows,
- Retrieval of information stored in the database.
- Insertion of new information into the database.
- Deletion of information stored in the database.
- Modification of information stored in the database.
There are basically two types,
- Procedural DMLs: Procedural DMLs requires a user to specify what data are needed and how to get those data.
- Declarative DMLs: Declarative DML’s requires a user only to specify what data are needed.
In the case of retrieval of information some statements are used which are called queries. The portion of DML that contains information retrieval statement is called query language.
Explanation with Example: Supposing that we are having the following table initially,